The “outlaw rider” stereotype has become extremely dated because people from all walks of life now use motorcycles for recreation, transportation, and fuel economy. Whether you are a blue-collar worker commuting to work, a businessman exploring the backroads of Texas, or a celebrity on a weekend road trip, the experience of riding a motorcycle can be exhilarating. Unfortunately, biases still exist that place motorcyclists at an increased risk of injury compared to occupants of passenger cars. This heightened risk of catastrophic injury or wrongful death is compounded by the lack of stability and safety features available to riders. Motorcycles lack seat belts, air bags, a reinforced passenger compartment, and the stability of a four-wheeled vehicle. These safety disadvantages mean that motorcyclists are more likely to be involved in an accident and face the prospect of more severe injuries.
These special aspects of motorcycle accidents and riding injuries constitute just one reason that motorcycle crash victims need an experienced Fort Worth motorcycle accident attorney. Many people still harbor negative feelings toward motorcycle enthusiasts, which can skew their perception of the circumstances involving a crash. For example, studies have shown many people significantly overestimate the speed a motorcycle is traveling. The police report in motorcycle accident cases also tends to be biased against a motorcycle rider. Because riders more frequently need to be rushed to the emergency room, the officer investigating the accident often prepares a report that relies heavily on the account of occupants of the passenger car with no input from the motorcyclist.
How an Experienced Tarrant County Motorcycle Accident Attorney Can Help
The attorneys at FH Law Group have the tenacity and proven experience taking cases to trial that puts insurance companies on notice that a lowball settlement offer is unacceptable. Our clients find comfort in the fact we have taken over a hundred cases to trial with many being argued before a jury. Our experience has enabled us to hone skills needed in conducting a thorough investigation of the facts, analyzing relevant documents, identifying key legal issues, conducting appropriate legal research, effectively negotiating with insurance companies, and presenting compelling arguments to a judge or jury.
If you have been injured in a motorcycle accident because of the negligence of another party, you cannot trust the other party’s insurance company to protect your interest. Although many insurance adjusters seem friendly and helpful, their role is to ensure you receive the smallest sum of money possible for your injuries. We work with a team of investigators, accident reconstruction experts, medical experts, and others to facilitate the most persuasive case possible for serious injury victims. We conduct our own analysis of a crash because we know the police report typically will be slanted in favor of the driver of the passenger car.
Factors Contributing to Texas Motorcycle Accidents
Many factors contribute to motorcycle accidents that include distracted drivers, drunk drivers, and speeding motorists. While drivers who engage in these forms of negligent operation of a motor vehicle threaten the safety of everyone on the road, motorcyclists are particularly vulnerable to devastating injuries from these forms of unsafe driving:
- Failure to Observe Right of Way: The most common cause of motorcycle accidents is the failure of a car or truck driver to yield right of way. These accidents often occur at intersections when a driver is turning left in the face of an approaching motorcycle.
- Distracted Drivers: When drivers multitask behind the wheel, their eyes, ears, and hands are not focused on the safe operation of their vehicle. Although inattentive drivers that drift into an adjacent lane or fail to stop for an interruption in traffic threaten all motorists, motorcycle riders have virtually no protection from injury.
- Substance Impaired Drivers: Motorists under the influence of drugs or alcohol account for more than one-third of traffic-related fatalities.
- Braking Distances: Because of the lack of stability associated with bikes, greater stopping distances are required to avoid laying a motorcycle down.
- Limited Visibility: Because motorcycles are relatively small compared to passenger cars, they are easy for drivers to miss if they are not paying attention. Their diminutive size also enables bikes to slip into spaces where other motorists do not expect a vehicle.
- Sharp Turns: Hard sharp turns caused by a motorcyclist reacting to avoid an accident can result in the bike tipping over.
- Roadway Defects: Defects in the roadway like uneven pavement or eroded edges of the surface can trap the wheel of a motorcycle and cause the operator to lose control.
- Defective Motorcycles: When motorcycle companies design or manufacture bikes with defects that contribute to an accident, any company in the production or distribution chain might be strictly liable for defects that were present when the vehicle left the party’s possession.
- Aggressive Driving: Drivers who engage in multiple forms of illegal or unsafe driving, such as weaving through traffic while speeding can easily cause a motorcycle collision.
- Disobeying Traffic Laws: Traffic laws are designed to prevent collisions, but drivers speed, execute unsafe lane changes, and run stop signs far too often.
These are just a few of the causes of motorcycle accidents that cause serious injuries or wrongful deaths in Fort Worth and the surrounding areas of Tarrant County. Because FH Law Group is committed to obtaining the fullest recovery for our clients, we examine the liability of all potential parties like another motorist, manufacturers of the motorcycle or other vehicle involved in the crash, public entity for an unsafe roadway, employer of a negligent driver, owner of the vehicle, and other possible responsible parties.
Financial Recovery for Serious Motorcycle Accident Injuries
When you experience a catastrophic injury or loss of a loved one in a devastating motorcycle collision, the compensation obtained in a personal injury or wrongful death claim might well shape your financial future. Although no monetary award can give you back the ability to walk or hug your child, a maximum damage recovery can provide funding for the best medical care, supportive services, lost household income, and more. Because of the vulnerability of motorcyclists, traumatic brain injuries, spinal cord injuries, internal organ damage, amputated limbs, paralysis, and broken bones are common. If you or a family member is injured in a motorcycle crash, the types of damages you are entitled to receive will depend on the facts and circumstances. Some of the types of damages the court might award include:
- Medical bills and hospital costs
- Past lost wages
- Diminished future earning capacity
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Property damage (e.g. vehicle repair/replacement)
- Loss of companionship of a spouse or guidance of a parent
- Burial/Funeral (Wrongful death)
- Punitive damages (egregious conduct)
Texas law firms that handle motorcycle accident settlements and litigation typically do so on a contingency basis, which means that they are paid a percentage of any recovery. As experienced Fort Worth motorcycle lawyers, FH Law Group can assess your case and advise you of your legal rights and best legal strategies. FH Law Group has helped hundreds of people in Fort Worth and the surrounding areas of Tarrant County. Call us today at (817) 697-4400 for a free consultation.
Personal Injury Cases We Handle
The Fulgham Hampton Law Group legal team of injury lawyers provides you with skilled litigators that have tried over 100 jury trials in Texas with expertise in matters ranging from car accident cases, complex cases with insurance companies and skilled settlement negotiations. Our injury lawyers are here to help you navigate the complex legal system and make important decisions to ensure you are fairly compensated for your injuries.
Our legal team of personal injury lawyers has over 45+ years of experience and over 100 jury trials in Texas. Our personal injury attorneys have a stellar reputation for dealing with insurance companies, negotiating favorable settlements with insurance companies, providing a thorough and prompt investigation and fighting to make sure you receive all the compensation your entitled to under the law.
We Get Results
Once you entrust us with your case, we commit to you and your cause and work tirelessly to get you the compensation you deserve. Because we limit the number of cases we accept, our injury attorneys and staff are able to focus on your case and commit the time and resources necessary to achieve the best possible result. We promise you that your case will be handled with compassion and the personal attention and detail you deserve!
Working with this firm was the right decision. From start to finish, everyone knew me by name, treated me respectfully, and gave my case the required attention. Communication was clear and responses were prompt. Not to mention a great outcome. Definitely recommend.Todd S.
The best car accident lawyers you could possibly find in fort worth! They really take care of you and make sure you get the best settlement you could hope for. You will not be disappointed if you work with these people. Super nice and they really care about your situation! Thank you!Kate H.
Excellent customer service throughout the entire process. I would highly recommend this firm. Although ALL of the interactions with the office staff were amazing, hopefully you will get the pleasure of working with Rachel. She was so helpful, kind and professional.Wendi S.
Professional, responsive and helpful. contacted Jeff's on the referral of a friend and not only has every contact with the office been prompt and courteous thanks to Trish and Rachel, Jeff has been a great help. He patiently listened to my explanations and asked me questions to better understand my need, things other attorneys have not done prior to him. He got me answers to issues I had approached me with.Obiora E.
Absolutely delivered exactly what Jeff said he would case dismissed anything you need I highly recommend them thank you again guys so much ????????????????????Jethro T.